Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Real Work



[click on the image to see it enlarged]

The poem below is a recycling of a post from July 2005 and feels appropriate for this moment in my life. Dedicated with love to everyone I love. I've paired it with the above drawing I did about three years ago. I put this drawing out to the universe as my "build it and they will come" desire. I want to build a school where language learning and arts and hands-on projects are everyday inspirations. Draw it and it will manifest??

The Real Work

It may be that when we no longer know what to do
we have come to our real work,
and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.
The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
The impeded stream is the one that sings.


~Wendell Berry (Collected Poems)

If you are reading this and have lots of money (or fund-raising ability), inspiration, creativity, and community spirit to contribute to the building of this school, let's talk. Until then, I'll keep on envisioning this school, drawing it into existence.

Please feel free to follow or join the expanded conversation on my flickr photostream. There you will see more details on my school.

4 comments:

Nana said...

LOVE the poem, Nicole.

I have inspiration, creativity, and community spirit, anyway - three out of four ain't bad, right??!!!

Danielle

kathy whilden said...

I love your new school.

Cin said...

because I imagine any school you created would be a great place I will gladly help if a little money will do. now just to get a lot of folks to do the same?

Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Funny, Danielle :)
What you have is perfectly wonderful! Thanks for your comment.

Thanks, Kathy!

Cindy, I appreciate your comment and will let you know when the school becomes an official social profit (nonprofit)and we begin to accept donations. Small, large--any amount of energy, love, inspirational ideas, material, and money will contribute to the manifestation of la escuela del desierto.