Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mele kiki bobo















I am in the desert again. Yuki, Jesse, and I are all content and comfortable in our little, quiet desert community of adobe houses near horse property (stables), the rillito (long, mostly dry river bed that goes for miles and miles with jogging and cycling paths on either side), and the 30-acre nature park down the block.















I plan to be here at least through September, with a lot of work to do between now and my MATESOL portfolio submission date in mid-September. So-o-o, I've decided I need to focus and concentrate on my work. I may not post here for a few months. Or, maybe I will find a few minutes to write after I re-establish a portfolio work routine.



Wishing all my friends, relations, and readers mele kiki bobo. I read this Zulu (?) phrase, which means: be courageous, be compassionate, be creative, on Trevor Romain's website. Trevor Romain, who was born and raised in South Africa, is one of my favorite illustrator adults because he is dedicated to children, artistic creativity, and to nurturing love and open-heartedness no matter what. He writes an awesome blog, too, peppered with his unique paintings and drawings.


























Where desert and ocean meet.
Adobe on old redwood board embedded with Monterey Bay sea otters' cast off abalone shell pieces, Asilomar seashells, and bits of a broken dish. Made at Song Mountain, Hearst, Mendocino County, California.

Ddo manna yo (that's Korean for "see y'all later").


*******

Signing off from Turtle Land.

No comments: