Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The foods I eat

This is a drawing of my main "staple" foods.





















I like to draw things from daily life. I got to thinking about the foods I eat because of two headlines I saw last week, one about the Atkins diet company bankruptcy and the other about the serious food shortage in Nigeria. Many people in the US pay money to lose weight while millions of people in Africa are starving to death. It doesn't make sense. We have access to so much food variety in North America while millions of people in poorer countries are starving. Millions of Nigerian mothers would be happy to have enough of just one type of food (i.e., millet or casava) to feed their malnourished children. I appreciate that many of the Asian food items I enjoy come to me from across the ocean, via ship, train, and truck. And, I wish there was something tangible I could do to help feed people who are starving.

No comments: