Monday, August 15, 2005

Reading fun


Well, I found two books at the Main Library that I have been wanting to read: Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer, translated by Richard Graves, and Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan by Jamie Zeppa. I'm already 90 pages into Seven Years in Tibet, finding it very exciting with much more detail than is portrayed in the movie (though I like the movie version very much).

Another thing I'm enjoying about Seven Years in Tibet is the physical book itself. It's a 1953 first edition copy, hard-bound and printed on thick, soft, ivory colored paper that is so nice to hold. There are black and white photographs and maps to consult as Herr Harrer journeys through Tibet.

The second book, Beyond the Sky and the Earth, is written by a Canadian woman who went to Bhutan (!) in 1988 to teach English (about the time I was returning from my 3-year adventure teaching English/living in Japan). I might give a report after I read it. For now, Herr Harrer's tale awaits.

Tashi Delek!

No comments: